Diskussionen zum Leben der Queen of Crime
Antworten
Japp
Mega-Schreiber
Mega-Schreiber

Presseschau März 2009

Beitrag von Japp »

Queen of Crime's writing desk for sale
A WRITING desk where Agatha Christie penned some of her famous mystery novels is going on sale in Cambridge.
http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/cn_news ... ?ID=396801

Rare airing for mistress-of-mystery radio plays
PROLIFIC crime writer Agatha Christie penned only four radio plays, one of which formed the basis for the long-running West End show The Mousetrap, writes Mark Campbell.
http://www.bromleytimes.co.uk/content/b ... 3A27%3A637
Japp
Mega-Schreiber
Mega-Schreiber

Re: Presseschau März 2009

Beitrag von Japp »

It's All in the Shoes by Tamsen_Harward

On Sunday afternoon at the British Film Institute on London’s Southbank, Hercule Poirot and Miss Marple held court. The clue to understanding this most unlikely event lies in the location – David Suchet and Julia McKenzie, the new Miss Marple, were in conversation with Mathew Billington from The Guardian. In a small theatre filled with Christie fans, we’d just watched a glorious Christie double bill on the big screen – two brand new films: the very exotic Appointment with Death followed by the faithfully adapted A Pocket Full of Rye. Poirot’s moustache and Miss Marple’s hat had never looked so fine. I won’t discuss the contents of the films and thus spoil your anticipation but I thought I would share my account on the evening’s discussion.

David entertained us all with anecdotes from his 20 year reign as Poirot – the time heatstroke hit (the Moroccan sun and his “fat suit” proving a deadly combination) – the honour of Poirot’s head being chosen for a Belgian coin: “and then they went Euro!”) – how he came to recreate for the screen Poirot’s walk, his “rapid mincing gate”, and the laborious but enjoyable preparation required for reassuming the role (20 hours spent watching previous performances to get every detail just right). David also told us that once the moustache goes on, the transformation is complete and David speaks as Poirot – no matter whether on set or off – to his agent, his wife or the director!

Julia was very amusing and self depreciating and claimed to be still finding her feet but everyone agreed she made a most wonderful Miss Marple. While David found The ABC Murders to be Christie’s most ingenious plot, Julia quite rightly didn’t know yet! And, she explained, when it was announced that, the by now very Hollywood, Joan Collins would be playing a role in The Mirror Crack’d from Side to Side – Julia declared: “She’s not having my Winnebago!”

If you’ve seen any pictures of Julia as Miss Marple, you’ll know that she wears very sturdy brogues and for Julia these were the equivalent to David’s moustache. Because so much filming is on location, Wellington boots are required until the final step onto set – so once the brogues are on, Julia is Miss Marple.

Both declared their hope that they could make many more films to come - for David there are ten more Poirot films to make to complete the canon. I, for one, can’t wait to see them!

The conversation between David and Julia (and the questions from the audience) will shortly be available to download from the BFI’s website. We’ll let you know when it’s available.

* Posted 10 March 2009 at 9:34a.m. GMT
Antworten